Sunday, July 10, 2016

"Ghostbusters" 2016


Ghostbusters 2016
by Angela Smith, HEAL Coordinator
 

I've seen way too much hate aimed at the new Ghostbusters film starring Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon.  While the original stars are not reprising their original roles, they are in the film.  Dan Aykroyd is in it.  Bill Murray is in it.  Ernie Hudson is in it.  Sigourney Weaver is in it.  Annie Potts is in it.  And, there is even a cameo appearance of Ozzy Osbourne!

I haven't seen it yet.  In fact, no one that is a member of the public has legally seen it yet.  It doesn't get released until Friday, July 15th, 2016 (the future).  So, I'm going to assume all the "haters" who are using phrases like "Ghostcunters" to describe the new film are being haters, and truly ignorant ones at that.

Of course, we all mourn and remember Harold Ramis.  But, it appears Daniel Ramis, Harold's son, is also in the movie.  The legacy continues...

Rick Moranis (the other star of the 1980's classic "Ghostbusters") was offered a cameo in the new film and turned it down.  Moranis has been out of the loop for some time and reports he is out of the modern comedy scene.  He reported not seeing a point to traveling and trouble over a cameo appearance.  Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3264069/Rick-Moranis-explains-turned-cameo-Ghostbusters-reboot-Melissa-McCarthy.html

So, from what I've seen and read, Dan Aykroyd is co-producing the 2016 version of Ghostbusters.  All the surviving cast was invited to participate in the new version to show respect for the original.  And, the four female stars of this film are certainly among the top 10 funniest women in America at this time. 

Someone reported that the line of toys and collectibles from the new film are already found in bargain bins.  And, at amazon.com you can currently get a Melissa McCarthy (Abby Yates) or Kristen Wiig (Jillian H.) character doll for $13.98.  You can get a Leslie Jones (Patty Tolan) character doll for $16.98.  And, you can get a Kate McKinnon (Erin G.) doll for $19.98.  Now, I would assume the most popular ones to get would be McCarthy and Wiig because one might argue they have more "star power" at this time than the other two.  So, what's up with this pricing?  I don't know.  Ask, amazon.com.

But, the stay-puft marshmallow man is only $11.99.  And, you can get a play-set with all the 1984 character dolls for $11.35.  So, it would appear comparatively that the action figures from the new film are priced higher than those available for the classic 1984 film.  Maybe it would be reasonable to say all Ghostbusters' action figures are now in the bargain bin?  Regardless, the point those using phrases like "Ghostcunters" were making about the toys from the new film being in the bargain bin really don't mean much of anything when examined closely. 

I am personally excited to see the new film.  I love the original Ghostbusters films.  I love the Blues Brothers.  I love most everything Bill Murray has ever done in his career going back to the early Saturday Night Live days.  The same goes for Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson too.  I loved the HBO series "Oz" and Hudson was awesome as always!

As a woman, I'm happy to see women in lead roles and since horror movies are often ramped up fairy-tales, I find it refreshing that in traditional fairy-tale fashion, the women are the heroines this time.  [Read: "The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales" (without the Disney editing)]  And, I expect to add this film to my collection of great comedies starring wonderful people that bring joy to my life and the lives of countless other through their work.

The only issue I have with this film is that the collectibles are made by Mattel.  And, Mattel engages in massive exploitation and out-sources jobs to China where the working conditions are horrendous.  For more information on this, visit:



http://www.ibtimes.com/labor-law-violations-chinese-supplier-hasbro-mattel-takara-tomy-report-2017445


Yes, I'm excited about the new movie.  I also wish that the entertainment industry had a better moral compass preventing them from exploiting workers, entertainers, and others for profit.  I wish entertainers would refuse consent for their likenesses to be used for toys made by exploited and oppressed workers that often live in conditions as bad as slavery. 

I will watch "Ghostbusters" 2016 and most likely love it and add it to my collection.  I will also strive to expose exploitation and slavery wherever it is found and call on anyone with the authority to make a difference to do so whenever opportunity knocks.

I don't see anyone hating on Ben Affleck for stealing Adam West's role.  I'm sure they are out there.  But, it doesn't reach my circles.  I don't see anyone hating on Christopher Reeve for stealing George Reeves' role.  And, I don't really understand why some people (with penises) are making such a fuss over a remake of Ghostbusters starring the funniest women of our time.  Are you all mad because Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is playing a receptionist?  I just don't understand where the hate comes from on that issue.  It all looks wonderfully entertaining to me.



[PS If you need to vote for a woman this election, consider Jill Stein/Green Party.]

 

 

No comments: